Dunrobin Castle is a stately home in Sutherland, in the Highland area of Scotland. It is the family seat of the Earl of Sutherland and the Clan Sutherland. It is located 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Golspie, and approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Brora, on the Dornoch Firth close to the A9 road. Nearby Dunrobin Castle railway station, on the Far North Line was originally a private station for the castle. Dunrobin's origins lie in the Middle Ages, but most of the present building is the work of Sir Charles Barry, the architect of the Palace of Westminster in London, who greatly extended the building in 1845. The resulting house has a "French Renaissance meets Scots Baronial" style. Some of the original building is visible in the interior courtyard.
There are 189 rooms within the house, making it the largest house in the northern Highlands. Much of Barry's interior was destroyed by the fire in 1915. The present interiors are mainly the work of the Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer, although he incorporated surviving 17th-century and 18th-century work, including wood carvings attributed to Grinling Gibbons. Externally, the castle has elements inspired by the work of the French architect Viollet-le-Duc, such as the pyramidal roof over the main entrance. The French influence extends into the gardens. These were completed in 1850, with Barry taking inspiration for the formal parterres from the French formal style of the Gardens of Versailles.