Cappella Colleoni - Bergamo, Italy



The Cappella Colleoni (Colleoni Chapel) is a church/mausoleum in Bergamo, northern Italy.

Dedicated to the saints Bartholomew, Mark and John the Baptist, it was built in 1472–1476 as the personal shrine for the famous condottiere Bartolomeo Colleoni, a member of one of the most outstanding families of the city, and his beloved daughter Medea. The site chosen was that of the sacristy of the nearby church of Santa Maria Maggiore, which was demolished by Colleoni's soldiers.

The design was entrusted to Giovanni Antonio Amadeo, whose plan respected the style of the church, as can been seen from the octagonal tambour of the dome and in the lantern cusp, as well as in the use of polychrome marbles.


Powered by Blogger.