Legislature Building, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

The Alberta Legislature Building is located in Edmonton, Alberta, and is the meeting place of the Legislative Assembly and the Executive Council. It is known to Edmontonians as "the Leg" (pronouced as in "ledge" and not "leg").  The building is located on a promontory (overlooking the North Saskatchewan River valley to the south) which was once the location of Fort Edmonton, Mark V (1830–1915), a Hudson's Bay Company fur-trading post. It is just up the hill from the archeaological finds at Rossdale Flats to the east, which was long-standing First Nations campsite and earlier location of Fort Edmonton. The legistature's location was selected shortly after Edmonton was confirmed as the provincial capital by the first session of the Legislature in 1906.


The Alberta Legislature Building is located in Edmonton, Alberta, and is the meeting place of the Legislative Assembly and the Executive Council. It is known to Edmontonians as "the Leg" (pronouced as in "ledge" and not "leg").

The building is located on a promontory (overlooking the North Saskatchewan River valley to the south) which was once the location of Fort Edmonton, Mark V (1830–1915), a Hudson's Bay Company fur-trading post. It is just up the hill from the archeaological finds at Rossdale Flats to the east, which was long-standing First Nations campsite and earlier location of Fort Edmonton. The legistature's location was selected shortly after Edmonton was confirmed as the provincial capital by the first session of the Legislature in 1906.


The legislature building is located along where 97 Avenue would be located, but the road was routed through a tunnel during 1970s renovations to the grounds, allowing a large plaza to connect the legislature to a greenspace to the north.

To the west of the building the grounds are bounded by 109 Street and the former rail right-of-way coming north from the High Level Bridge, now used the High Level Bridge Streetcar and a walking path, with Victoria Park and Golf Course and the Grandin neighbourhood beyond.

To the north lies the "Government Centre" district within Downtown Edmonton, south of Jasper Avenue, Edmonton's main street. Here are found several provincial government office buildings, and the Federal Public Building, As of 2012 being renovated as a new provincial office building and conference centre. A sort section of 107 Street, called "Capital Boulevard", is anchored by two terminating vistas, the legislature and Grant MacEwan University's City Centre Campus. MacEwan is a part of the Old Canadian National rail yard redevelopment.

Immediately east is the Legislature Annex Building and the Government Centre transit centre, and beyond them the Rossdale neighbourhood and Telus Field.


Source: Wikipedia


Powered by Blogger.